Formats (Online / In-Person)
The Risk Management Program offers courses in two different learning formats (in-person and online). It is important that you consider the learning format and its suitability for you in order to ensure that you have a successful learning experience.
- Courses meet one time per week for three hours and run for 13 weeks.
- Class size ranges from 12 to 50 students.
- You should expect to allocate at least three hours per week for reading, study and assignments, in addition to class time.
- Courses are held at McMaster’s Downtown Centre, One James North, Hamilton, unless otherwise indicated.
- You should attend all classes as the classroom work represents a significant part of the learning experience.
Considerations for Taking an In-Person Class
- Your schedule allows you to attend class at the same time each week.
- You prefer interacting with your peers and feeling part of a classroom environment.
- You prefer weekly feedback from an instructor.
- You occasionally need reminders and reinforcements to get your studying done.
- You prefer the instructor explain the readings and the assignments.
Considerations for Taking an Online Class
- You are good at keeping yourself on task to complete a project.
- You are comfortable asking for clarification when needed and expressing yourself in written form through email or a discussion board.
- You are able to read the textbook (and the assignments) on your own and understand the concepts.
- You are able to work independently.
- You have a quiet place to complete your work.
- You are comfortable using technology.