Continuing Education Classes as Priority
In all aspects of the room
rentals policy, priority is given to the core educational function of the
Centre for Continuing Education and room rentals are offered to the degree that
rooms might be available after first attending to student-related activities.
Continuing Education does not confirm room bookings until the room schedule for the term is confirmed.
For each term (Fall, Winter and Spring), room rentals for not-for-profit and external groups are not permitted during the week prior to the start of term and the first week of classes. Internal McMaster groups may book rooms during these weeks although supports such as AV support will not be available. Every effort will be made to accommodate room bookings involving internal McMaster groups so long as space is available.
Room Rental Groups: Eligible Organizations
The following categories of
organizations may request a room booking, subject to the guidelines above:
- All internal McMaster departments
- Not-for-profit organizations (McMaster): in this kind of organization, there is involvement by a McMaster University employee
- Not-for-profit organizations (non-McMaster): in this kind of organization, there is no involvement by a McMaster University employee
- External organizations
Continuing Education reserves the right to
decline a room request for the following situations:
- Any organization that offers products and services that are in direct competition with a product or service offered by McMaster Continuing Education.
- Any group whose intended activities are not compatible with the requirements for the core educational activities of McMaster Continuing Education.
Rental Fees: Explanation of Fees and Services
McMaster Continuing Education classrooms are
available for rent as professional meeting space.
Room Rental Fee -
for use of the classroom space and public washrooms
- Rooms range in size and the capacity for each room depends on the setup configuration.
- At all times, room capacity maximums as set by fire regulations will be followed.
- The use of the computer lab is limited to internal McMaster rentals only.
Room rental users should be prepared to be self-sufficient:
- Any safety or security concerns should be directed to the Security personnel located on the main floor just inside the lounge.
- Concerns regarding heating and cooling may be directed to the Information Services area during normal business hours (2nd floor), and to Security when no staff is present who will log a ticket with the landlord to request a temperature adjustment.
- A/V equipment is controlled by a touchscreen panel in the classroom.Written instructions are provided and room rental users should be comfortable with managing the A/V setup on their own.
The standard configuration is classroom style. An additional fee of $25 will apply to rearrange tables to accommodate an alternate setup such as pods or boardroom style, and then return the room to its standard configuration.
A/V Rental - Data
projector/screen, laptop, flipcharts, microphones:
- All classroom rentals include the use of the data projector/screen and microphones if requested.
- Internal McMaster groups can access wifi using their MacIDs and passwords.
- All external groups must request WiFi in advance as setup is required. Wifi is not available when requested on the day of the rental. When requested in advance, Wifi is complimentary.
- Flipcharts and laptops are at additional cost.
- laptop (per) $50
- flipcharts (per) $15
- For bookings that occur when McMaster Continuing Education has Security onsite for regularly scheduled classes, there will be no additional charge to room rental users.
- For bookings where Security hours must be extended to allow a room rental client to be onsite, or in cases where Continuing Educationhas no classes running and Security must be arranged for the sole purpose of the room rental user, the room rental user will pay the full cost of Security. The cost will be a straight flow-through cost of what McMaster pays to the external service provider.
- Security must be in place half an hour before the start of an event/class and half an hour after the conclusion of an event/class. Rate: $21/hr.
For McMaster groups who have catering as part of their room rental usage, a cleaning fee of $50 will be charged. This fee is a straight flow-through cost of what CCE pays to the external service provider for mid-day cleaning to re-prepare the classroom. If there is no food present for the room rental usage, there will be no cleaning fee.
For external clients, the expectation is that the cleaning effort is typical and customary for a meeting and is therefore included in the room rental fee. Should an external organization engage in an activity that requires an out-of-the-ordinary effort to clean the room and re-prepare it for classes, a separate cleaning fee will be assessed and charged.
McMaster groups and external organizations desiring to include catering in their function are required to contact McMaster Catering Services for their needs. Non-profit organizations are permitted to make their own arrangements.
McMaster Catering Services: 905-525-9140 ext. 24836 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For McMaster groups: departments must provide the appropriate chartfield at time of booking if cleaning charges are expected. For external groups, McMaster requires payment in full prior to or on the day of the event.
A fee of 25% of the rental agreement will be levied if an event is cancelled two business days or less prior to a scheduled event.
Email OJNroom@McMaster.ca to request a tour or room booking.