Please note the Health Information Management program is no longer available to new students.
McMaster University Continuing Education is discontinuing the Health Information Management program and is no longer accepting applications. Please refer to our new Health Information Fundamentals program launching Winter 2022 for more information.
New Health Information Fundamentals program to launch Winter 2022!
McMaster Continuing Education is proud to offer
a new modernized pathway into the health information management (HIM)
profession, developed in collaboration with the Canadian College of Health Information Management (CCHIM). This is in response to industry demand for certified professionals, as well as to appeal to people from other educational backgrounds who wish to join the profession.
The modernized pathway is for applicants who hold a degree (or are pursuing a degree) and who successfully complete a new program incorporating the curricular competencies identified for health information fundamentals. Successful students will be eligible to write the Certified Health Information Management (CHIM) national certification examination that grants the Canadian CHIM professional designation. A key benefit of this approach is the reduced time required to prepare for the certification examination and achieve the CHIM designation due to a focused, streamlined educational program.
The new Health Information
Fundamentals program will be available this coming Winter 2022. Please visit the Health Information Fundamentals program website to learn more and apply today.
Learn more about the initiative here.
Managing information throughout the health care system
Expand upon your post-secondary studies to discover your pathway to an
exciting career in health information. As information technology evolves and
health data is digitized, the health information manager is an integral member
of the health care team. Learn and apply
industry standards for the collection, use, and analysis of personal health
data. Study information management’s
principles and practices for privacy, confidentiality and security, and how these
are applicable to health information systems.
Learn how electronic information
management is revolutionizing health care within service sectors: primary care,
administration and research.
Why Choose McMaster's Online Health Information Management Program?
McMaster University Continuing Education provides its learners with
academic programs that are well-designed, accessible, and relevant to the professional field. Programs within health information are
designed for learners with an undergraduate degree or college diploma seeking
to build upon their prior knowledge and skills.
Program participants will:
- Explore, learn and apply their
knowledge and skills in a dynamic, online learning environment,
- Establish a network of colleagues from diverse education and work experiences,
- Learn from trained health information management professionals,
- Tailor your program courses to meet your education and professional goals, such as adding to your professional development portfolio or pursuing a national certification,
- Earn a respected and recognized academic Certificate or Diploma from McMaster University.
Health Information Management Program Overview
McMaster University Continuing Education offers three program streams to meet your academic and professional requirements.
|Health Information Certification
||Health Information Management Diploma
||Health Information Management Plus Diploma
- 5-course certificate program
- Suitable for individuals seeking professional development courses, or focused training in health information practices
- 8-course diploma
- Suitable for individuals seeking an information management program applicable to health, social services, or other professions
What You Will Study
- Professional standards and regulations
- Privacy, confidentiality and security
- Records management
- Information systems
- Data management and analysis
- Ethics and professionalism
- Organizational behaviour in health care
- Managing privacy and security
- Quality assurance
- And more
Who Should Take the Health Information Management Program?
- Recent university/college graduates interested in a career in information management
- Health care professionals seeking second career or a new career pathway
- Information professionals seeking education to supplement their existing career
- Data analysts, business analysts, researchers
- Individuals responsible for the privacy, security and confidentiality of client records/information
- Computer/IT professionals employed in health information systems development
- Health Information managers and Health Informatics professionals looking to upgrade previous education
- International professionals seeking Canadian education in Health Information Management.
Please contact Continuing Education for consultation to help determine if this
program is right for you.
Watch our latest recording of the Health Technology Program Preview Webinar: