Developed in collaboration with the Canadian College of Health Information Management (CCHIM), the Health Information Fundamentals program offers a
modernized pathway into the health information management (HIM) profession.
This online program teaches you critical areas of competency,
including information governance, data quality, clinical knowledge, analytics,
privacy and technology.
Learn the fundamental theories
and principles of health information management and governance, the structure
of the Canadian health system and data repositories. You will also explore
privacy and health laws to sustain quality in health and the technology
solutions that make it possible.
Achieve your Certified Health
Information Management (CHIM) designation faster and become a certified
professional with the help of our streamlined online program. Demonstrate your
credibility and commitment to the health information management industry and
get ahead in this rewarding profession.
- Obtain in-demand skills and experience in information governance, data quality, clinical knowledge, analytics, privacy and technology
- Recognized by the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA)
- Streamlined accredited program helps reduce the
time to prepare for your CHIM certification exam
- Convenient online courses
- Learn from instructors with industry expertise
You’ll learn to
- Understand the fundamental theories and principles of health information management
- Understand the structure of the Canadian health system and health data and information repositories
- Prepare, collect and process health data for analysis using statistical software
- Understand the development of data standards, their application within health information management and organizational practices for maintaining data quality and data integrity
- Assess key Canadian federal and provincial privacy and health laws that affect policies and processes related to health information
- Navigate project management concepts in the technology system development lifecycle and the standards related to the exchange of health information within and across systems; technologies such as cloud storage, blockchain, virtual care will be highlighted
- Comprehend the medical terminology used in a healthcare environment, the anatomical body structures and their physiological functions, pathological conditions, risk factors, diagnostic interventions and available treatment options
Who should take this program?
graduates from any discipline interested in a career in management or
health analytics within the health information management industry
professionals seeking a second career or
a new career pathway
information managers, health informatics or information professionals looking
to upgrade their education and acquire a designation
professionals seeking Canadian education in health information management
analysts, business analysts, researchers and managers looking to work in
the healthcare industry
responsible for the privacy, security and confidentiality of client
records and information
this program is right for you? Contact us today for a consultation.
must be accepted to the program prior to enrolling. Please visit the Admission and Application Requirements page for more details.
Join our FREE Virtual Open House on August 25 to explore our online programs and get your questions answered by experts in real-time.