The Business of Golf and Resort Management program offers courses in
an online format. It is important that you consider the learning
format and its suitability for you in order to ensure that you have a
successful learning experience. The Centre for Continuing Education uses
the Learning Management System (LMS), Brightspace (Desire to Learn), to deliver
its online courses. McMaster uses the
term “Avenue to Learn (A2L)” for the LMS.
Teaching methods include weekly readings, facilitated discussion boards, videos, narrated presentations, group and individual projects, tests and assignments. You will be interacting with your classmates and your instructor each week.
You should expect to allocate approximately six to eight hours per week to complete your work. Each course has interactive discussion forums. The discussions are asynchronous so you do not need to log in at a particular date or time.
Details are provided at the start of the course. A pre-course email with information on the course will be sent prior to the course start date. Courses are activated in Avenue to Learn three days prior to course start date.
for Taking an Online Class
- You are good at keeping yourself on task to complete a project.
- You are comfortable asking for clarification when needed and expressing yourself in written form through email or a discussion board.
- You are able to read the textbook (and the assignments) on your own and understand the concepts.
- You are able to work independently and in small groups.
- You have a quiet place to complete your work.
- You are comfortable using technology.
What equipment do I need to use any of
the online course software and tools?
The following equipment is required for taking a course
- Windows or Mac computer
- Internet connection (high speed broadband is best)
- Latest version of Internet Explorer or related browser
- MS Word (or other word processor) and basic Excel for some courses. If you are not familiar with Word or Excel, practice tutorials are available on the internet
- Adobe Acrobat Reader