Data Science presents an intermediate level of content in the areas of statistics, data analytics, big data analytics, machine learning, and technical/software applications. You’ll learn technical concepts from leading practitioners and benefit from hands-on courses and computer lab training with the latest industry tools. In this program, you'll work individually and on teams to complete course projects and build a professional portfolio.
You’ll learn to:
- Identify a business problem and determine if, and how, an analytics solution is applicable
- Translate a business problem into an analytics problem
- Propose, and refine, analytical solutions to business problems
- Collect, analyze, interpret, and share data
- Identify relationships in data
- Select problem‐solving techniques and software tools to test analytical solutions
- Employ common industry software tools
- Identify, test, and evaluate model structures to apply to solve a business problem
- Assess new and emerging technologies, tools and strategies applicable to data science and related fields
The program is designed for professionals and offers evening and/or Saturday courses that allow you to finish in 12-18 months. In as little as one year you’ll be on the fast-track to capitalizing on the rapidly changing digital landscape.
Choose at least five (5) elective courses from the Data Science program to complete a minimum of 15 academic credit units and earn a Data Science Certificate.
Who should take this program?
- This program offers courses for students with prior academic and work experience in data analytics and/or introductory level of data science, and related topics.
- Students interested in enrolling in Big Data Programming & Architecture but need to acquire prerequisite knowledge.
This program is a great fit for:
- Students or recent graduates from programs with introductory level analytics, statistics, and/or business intelligence courses.
- Professionals with prior academic and work experience in data analytics and/or introductory level of data science, and related technology topics.
- Employees in finance, insurance, health care, marketing, retail, government, logistics, transportation, information systems, media/entertainment sectors, or other sectors that utilize data analysis.
- Individuals seeking a new career path in technology, informatics, business intelligence, web analytics, data collection, and Machine Learning.
- Students interested in enrolling in advanced data program streams in big data programming and architecture but need to acquire prerequisite knowledge.
- Professionals currently working in a data science-related field and intend to selectively learn new topics in Machine Learning and Big Data to add to their skillset can complete three (3) courses from the Data Science program and receive a Certificate of Completion.
Do you require some preparatory training for the Data Science program?
Not to worry - start with our basic level courses in the Data Analytics stream to gain the skills required for Data Science!
Are you an existing student or a student admitted to the Big Data Analytics program in the previous term (Spring 2020) and have not started your studies yet?
The Big Data Analytics program and the Foundations of Analytics program will both be closing and will be replaced by our new program offerings in Data Analytics, Data Science, and Big Data Programming & Architecture effective September 1, 2020. No new applications will be accepted. Current students can consider the following program options: