No matter what industry you work in, building your creative, critical and design thinking skills will enhance your ability to solve complex problems in your organization.
The tools taught in this 3-course certificate of completion program are used by leaders in business, government, health care, the arts, technology and more.
Equip yourself to grow your career. Change the way you think in order to change the way you lead.
What is Creative, Critical and Design Thinking?
Creative, critical and design thinking process involves systematic and human-centered processes to:
- Empathize with people
- Identify and frame problems
- Seek different viewpoints
- Identify alternative explanations
- Generate and test ideas
- Take actions that add value to others and promote positive outcomes and opportunities
What is Creative Thinking?
Creative Thinking is a way of looking at problems or situations from a fresh perspective that suggests unorthodox solutions. Creative thinking can be stimulated both by an unstructured process such as brainstorming, and by a structured process such as lateral thinking.*
What is Critical Thinking?
Critical Thinking refers to purposeful, self-regulatory judgment or conclusion which results in interpretation, analysis, evaluation, and inference, as well as explanation of the evidential, methodological, or contextual considerations upon which that judgment or conclusion is based.*
*Source: Facione, Peter A. (2011). Critical Thinking: What It is and Why It Counts.
What is Design Thinking?
Design Thinking refers to creative strategies that can be used to consider issues, with a means to help resolve these issues, more broadly than within professional design practice and has been applied in business as well as social issues.*
*Source: Dorst, Kees (2012). Frame Innovation: Create new thinking by design.
Who should take this program?
- Anyone working in business, marketing, government, health care, the arts, technology and more
- New and current managers
- Recent college/university graduates
What are the Learning Outcomes of this Program?
- Develop competencies in critical, creative and design thinking to investigate an idea and transform it into meaningful action
- Apply divergent and convergent thinking tools to situations within a variety of fields and settings
- Examine principles and models of creative, critical and design thinking to effectively solve problems for users and stakeholders
- Practice using the tools, frameworks and processes needed to develop solutions to industry problems and complex situations
- Construct and execute innovative strategies in relation to problems and complex situations
- Become aware of and leverage the role(s) they play in creative processes and teams
- Reflect on and meaningfully communicate your experiences of creating, problem solving and designing
- Recognize how to identify, participate in, and support communities of practice committed to sustainable change
Business Administration Options
Please contact CCE for consultation to help determine if this program is right for you.