Program Admission Requirements
In compliance with the Certificates and
Diploma admission policy from Undergraduate Council, learners who wish to enrol
in the Big Data Analytics program should
meet the following requirements based on their education and work experience:
- Equivalent academic experience, such as a university degree/college diploma with relevant coursework in mathematics, computer science, science, engineering, or business with a minimum cumulative GPA of C-, or better; or
- Relevant professional experience (a minimum of 3 years) in the field of data analytics, or related fields, or
- Be a mature student as defined in the Undergraduate Calendar of McMaster University; or
- Be deemed an exceptional case by the Centre for Continuing Education. Prospective students within this category must contact the Program Manager for consultation and evaluation of past education and professional experience.
In order to ensure that learners have
the basic capabilities necessary to be successful in the program’s academic
courses, it is recommended that learners have the following pre-requisite
knowledge, skills, or course completion:
- Knowledge and skills in statistics, and mathematical literacy;
- Knowledge of programming language (such as C or Java) and/or scripting language (such as Matlab or Python)
- Proficiency with computer program applications, such as Excel and Access
- Meet McMaster’s English
Language Proficiency requirements: Completion of TOEFL exam with minimum acceptable score of IBT: 86
overall with a minimum score of 20 on each of the four components (Reading,
Writing, Speaking, Listening), valid for 2 years
The Centre for Continuing Education (CCE) has provided a short list of possible pre-requisite courses you may be interested in completing prior to the Big Data Analytics program. These courses have not been reviewed for academic equivalency to McMaster courses; rather, it serves as a place to begin your
search for training in a particular subject area. This is not an exhaustive list, and you are welcome to choose other education/training options appropriate to your background.
Please see the internet learning resources.