The Applied Clinical Research program offers courses in
an online format. It is important that you consider the learning
format and its suitability for you in order to ensure that you have a
successful learning experience. The Centre for Continuing Education uses
the Learning Management System (LMS), Brightspace (Desire to Learn), to deliver
its online courses. McMaster uses the
term “Avenue to Learn (A2L)” for the LMS.
- Teaching methods include several evaluation components. The evaluations will consist of assignments, case studies, presentations, laboratory application activities, individual or group projects, class participation, or a combination thereof.
- Where appropriate, evaluations will be structured to evaluate participants' level of competency in achieving overall learning objectives.
- You will be interacting with your classmates and your instructor each week.
- You should expect to allocate approximately six to eight hours per week to complete your work but you don’t need to log on at a specific time.
- A pre-course email with information on the course, course materials, etc. will be sent approximately 7 days before the course start date.
- Courses are made “live” in A2L 3 days prior to course start date.
- For each course, students will complete an evaluation to assess content, delivery, materials, method of evaluation and instruction.
Considerations for Taking an Online Course
- You are good at keeping yourself on task to complete a project.You are comfortable asking for clarification when needed and expressing yourself in written form through email or a discussion board.
- You are able to read the textbook (and the assignments) on your own and understand the concepts.
- You are able to work independently.
- You have a quiet place to complete your work.
- You are comfortable using technology.
What equipment do I need to use any of
the online course software and tools?
The following equipment is required for taking a course
- Windows or Mac computer
- Internet connection (high speed broadband is best)