Combining the Diploma in Accounting or the Certificate in Advanced Accounting with a professional designation from a finance or accounting organization can further enhance your career opportunities.
In all cases, students register with the Centre for Continuing
Education for individual courses. In most cases, students must also
register at the program level with the Canadian association.
It is the responsibility of the students to comply with the
program admission and course requirements of the professional
accounting/finance association or institute. Each organization has its
own requirements regarding application, admission, program and
membership. Students should contact the organization for detailed
information concerning their program.
Students who wish to pursue a McMaster University Certificate or
Diploma in conjunction with their external designation should
contact the Centre for Continuing Education.
Learn more about the pathways by watching this recording of our recent program preview.
The CPA Canada Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance (ACAF) is a nationally recognized certificate for those seeking a challenging and rewarding career in accounting and finance, but not as qualified CPAs.
The ACAF will provide the job-ready skills that employers across the country value within the accounting and finance functions of their businesses.
As a certificate holder, you will qualify for junior and intermediate-level accounting jobs in business, not-for-profit and government, as well as CPA-supervised positions in public accounting.
As a post-secondary partner, McMaster University Centre for Continuing Education (CCE) is pleased to offer courses that qualify towards the ACAF. View the list of CPA Ontario ACAF approved courses offered through McMaster CCE here.
For full details on how to qualify for the CPA ACAF program, be sure to visit CPA Ontario.
What does it mean to become a CPA? It means building the knowledge, skills and confidence to succeed in business. Expanding your network. Elevating your prospects. And opening the door to exciting opportunities, across the country and around the world. Becoming a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) is your ticket to a world of opportunities in accounting and finance. CPAs are in demand thanks to their financial expertise, strategic thinking, business insight and management skills.
About the Chartered Professionals Accountants of Ontario (CPA Ontario)
- The Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario is the qualifying and regulatory body of Ontario’s more than 80,000 CPAs and 20,000 CPA students.
- Chartered Professional Accountants are Canada’s trusted business leaders. They are highly valued for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, business insight, management skills and leadership.
- The CPA Certification Program is designed to serve the needs of Canadian business, public practice and government by educating and training the Chartered Professional Accountants on whom they will rely. Students are equipped to manage the pressures and pace of the global economy, developing a deep understanding of financial data, its impact on organizational performance and how it can be used to deliver exceptional results.
- Whether you are a student in university, already working or an internationally educated professional, learn how you can become a CPA at CPA Ontario.
- The CPA designation is your key to a prosperous and fulfilling career.
Academic Prerequisites for Admission to the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP)
There are academic prerequisites for admission to the CPA Certification Program. Before entering the program, candidates must complete a degree and cover specific subject areas. The specific subject areas may be covered during a university program, or through additional degree-credit courses offered by post-secondary institutions including universities, colleges and/or academic institutions in another country or through the preparatory courses offered through CPA Ontario.
Individuals missing one or more of the required subject area courses for entry into the CPA PEP can complete courses offered in-class or online self-study through McMaster’s Centre for Continuing Education towards fulfilling the prerequisite requirements for entry into the CPA PEP and/or exemptions from the CPA preparatory courses. View a list of CPA Ontario approved courses offered through McMaster University’s Centre for Continuing Education (CCE) here.
If you are interested in pursuing a CPA designation, be sure to review full details at CPA Ontario.
Those who do not have a degree may also be interested to know that graduates of our Diploma in Accounting may be eligible for advanced studies towards a degree program at McMaster University.